Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Lineage

John Baker was my uncle. As a semi-professional race car driver (in addition to his successful shipping company that was his primary focus), he traveled all around the western United States. His family and mine had been tight for a long time because of how often we were able to get together and enjoy each others company. A freak accident not unlike Dale Earnhardt's took John's life in June of 2002. We don't visit his grave. We don't mope around on the anniversary. Honestly, he probably prefers it that way. I took this photo to admire the new picture frame I bought at Ikea without giving much though to the frame's content, but as I sit here I think about the photograph that resides in that frame on my desk. It's a photo of John in his race car. He died doing what he loved. I hope I can say the same when that day comes for me - that I chase the things that make me happy. My middle name comes from him, and if that commonality links us in any way I hope that it gives me the perseverance, ambition, and passion that he had. Nothing he did in life was a joke - everything was all-out, full-bore, and to-the-limit. Is it only the good that die young? Maybe not only the good, but John fell into that category, and certainly had enough to live for before the accident that took his life. We remember him fondly, and the day that we will meet again will be one of great excitement.

::

Rest in peace, John.

No comments: